If you’re thinking about building – or buying – a barndominium, this video is your first stop. It’s a simple breakdown of how the square foot costs roll up into a final price, and how the choices you make will cause it to go up or down — more affordable or less.
It points out that many owner-builders have cut costs and saved time by getting a “kit” or pre-made shell from one of the national vendors who will deliver it to your acreage, ready for setup by a crew either arranged for by you, as general contractor, or by them by prearrangement with a local builder.
Here’s a short list of builders who offer kits for delivery inside the U.S.
- Metal Building Homes – This is the ,org company, not the .com company.
- Allwood Outlet — specializing in purely wooden kits – no need for a contractor, but they sell mostly ultra small cabin kits.
- Absolute Steel Texas — one of the current leaders in small barndo kit building – they will ship you a shell DIY or help you find a contractor. They also offer turnkey options. We also feature them in a related article elsewhere on this site.
- Worldwide Steel Buildings — will ship your kit anywhere and offer tips on building it yourself or working with a contractor.
- Arched Cabins — a sleek new take on the old Quonset hut, these kits are ultra affordable.
Plus there’s a construction section in this video covering most of the items you’ll need for finish-out if you’re one of the growing number around the country who are wanting to know how to build their own barndominium.
Subscribe to be notified of each new video we release. And thanks for stopping by today.